Federal government documents, including books, journals, pamphlets, posters, maps, microfiche, CD-ROMs, and DVDs, are received and processed in the Downtown Campus Library. Web access to many government publications is also available. All libraries on campus contain some federal government documents in their collections.
Notable Government Documents located at the WVU Libraries:
Downtown Campus Library – Federal Register, Congressional Record, Serial Set, U.S. Code, Code of Federal Regulations, and the map collection.
Evansdale Library – Braille Book Review, NASA, Nuclear Regulatory Commission issuances, National Park Service maps, and Soil Surveys.
Health Science Library – Health statistics and reports on various subjects including mortality, health, American Cancer Society, AIDS, and PTSD. All Government Documents at the Health Sciences Library are in closed stacks. Please see the Access Services desk for assistance.
George R. Farmer Law Library – Current 2 years of the Federal Register, current year of the Code of Federal Regulations, and Supreme Court case reports.
Most Government Documents are cataloged with Superintendent of Documents (SuDoc) call numbers.
The Downtown Campus Library has the largest collection of government documents. Paper and bound formats are located on the lower level in the compact shelving unit. This includes:
- The Federal Register - Latest two years are kept.
- Congressional Record - Bound volumes include 43 rd Congress – Current bound (112 th Congress). Daily Congressional Record in paper format includes the most current congress (115 th Congress). The bound format replaces the paper format when it is received.
- Serial Set - 1995 – Current (2011) Most volumes before 1995 are housed at the Libraries Depository.
- House Journal - 97 th Congress – 113 th Congress
- Senate Journal - 97 th Congress – 113 th Congress
- U.S. Code - 1998 – Current (2012)
Examples of other noteworthy government documents in the Downtown Campus Library
print collection include:
- Then Came the Fire: Personal Accounts from the Pentagon, 11 September 2001
- Pacific Tsunami Warning System: A Half-Century of Protecting the Pacific 1965-2015
- Civics Flash Cards for the New Naturalization Test
- The Roswell Report: Fact Versus Fiction in the New Mexico Desert
- Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States
Also on the lower level is the map collection, located in room 122 .
The first floor of the Downtown Campus Library houses the Government Documents census collection. This includes:
- American Statistics Index 1973-2012
- CIS U.S. Serial Set Index
- Census information including business, governments, housing, manufactures, population, trade, and service industries.
The second floor of Downtown Campus Library houses the Government Documents microforms collection. This includes:
- The Federal Register from 1936-1982 on microfilm, and the Federal Register from 1982 – Current (2015) on microfiche.
- Serial Set microfiche 96 th Congress – Current. These are in order from Congress, then in call number order starting with Y1.
- Code of Federal Regulations microfiche 1985- Current (2016) Call numbers beginning with AE 2.106/2 and AE 2.106/3.
- House Journal microfiche 96 th – 112 th Congress
- Senate Journal microfiche 96-113 th Congress
- House and Senate Committee hearings and publications starting with call number Y4.