The Libraries' plagiarism avoidance tutorial covers
- how plagiarism is defined
- why students may advertently and inadvertently plagiarize
- possible penalties for plagiarism
- how to use information ethically in research papers / projects
- where to get help with researching and writing.
Students work through 6 modules, taking self-tests in order to progress from one module to the next. After completing the last module, students take an exam on the Tutorial’s material. The final exam, consisting of 20 questions, randomly draws from a bank of questions.
Students generally require about 1 hour of concentrated work time to complete the tutorial.
The tutorial is available at https://library.wvu.edu/plagiarism. Students will simply visit this link and take the tutorial and quiz. At the end of the quiz, they will be prompted to email their scores to their instructors.