The WVU Libraries encompasses seven libraries: the Downtown Campus Library, Evansdale Library, Health Sciences Library (Morgantown), Law Library, Health Sciences Library (Charleston), Mary F. Shipper Library at Potomac State College, Beckley Library at WVU Institute of Technology, and West Virginia and Regional History Center. Our collections include more than 1.8 million books, 400,000 eBooks, and 117,000 eJournals.
More information about the Libraries is available in our 2019 Annual Report.
- Art in the Libraries
- Open Access Research Publishing
- Open Educational Resources
- Research Commons
- Research Repository @ WVU
- Residency Program
- Student Veteran Program
The mission of the WVU Libraries is to collect, preserve, and provide access to information that enables learning and the advancement of knowledge and to actively participate as a partner in WVU’s high‐quality education.
The WVU Libraries are intellectual, cultural, and social centers that support the University’s goal to attain national research prominence; the Libraries also serve as an essential information resource for the people of West Virginia. To excel in these roles, we seek to:
- Identify, evaluate and develop collections in a variety of formats that meet the needs of our users.
- Promote discovery by applying technology and research to enrich services and to provide access to our collections.
- Strive for consistently high standards to ensure quality education and service.
- Act with courtesy, professionalism, and integrity.
- Create and maintain inspiring physical environments.
- Foster an inclusive, welcoming environment.
- Build an atmosphere of trust and intellectual freedom.
- Support the right to privacy.
The Charles C. Wise Library: A Retrospective
This 32 page book (5,569KB PDF) presents the fascinating story of the “tremendous setting for learning” and contains beautiful photographs documenting the library’s growth from 1931 to 2006.
Brief History of the WVU Libraries from 1931
This 20 page history (136KB PDF) covers the WVU Libraries from 1931 to 1999.