The WVU Libraries strive to provide easy access to our materials while still ensuring their availability to all users. In recent years, we’ve eliminated overdue fines on the majority of loans and cut fees that appeared punitive. Currently, only certain materials accrue overdue fines and those are due to specific circumstances: a limited number of items, demand for a title or piece of equipment is very high, or when we are borrowing materials from other libraries. In these instances, we will continue to institute overdue fines. This helps make our limited resources available to many users and it keeps us in good standing with our reciprocal partners.In order to maintain the collection, the Libraries still invoice for materials that are not returned within 30 days of the due date. This replacement charge will be waived if the material is returned.
- In general, faculty, staff, graduate and undergraduate students have a semester loan for books. However, loan periods may vary among campus libraries.
- Proxy Authorization- Faculty members may authorize currently enrolled students
or family members to check out materials using their library account.
Apply for Proxy Authorization
- Notices are sent via campus email.
- Books and any items with accompanying media that have not been returned or renewed within 30 days of their due date will be treated as “lost”. Replacement bills will be issued for the lost item replacement; these bills are determined by cost of the specific item, when known.
- Once a bill is paid, the library user has six months to return the item and receive a credit for the replacement charge.
- Items still receiving daily fines: media items, laptops and other digital devices, reserve items, and ILL loans.
- Fines are not charged for days the Library is closed
Student fines and bills are referred to the Office of Student Accounts and can be paid there or online via the link to Student Accounts in STAR or Mix.Faculty and staff borrowing privileges are blocked for fines totaling more than $100 or when un-returned materials have been billed for replacement. Payment for fines and bills can be made via credit card, Mountie Bounty or check. The library does not accept cash.
The following items are not covered by these guidelines and still accrue daily fines
|Course Reserves||$0.05 per minute per item|
|ILL/ILLiad materials||$1.00 per day||10-day grace period; fine starts at $11 on the 11th day late|
|Laptops and chargers||$5.00 per day||
|Multimedia & Classroom Teaching equipment||$5.00 per day|
|Items recalled for Reserve||$3.00 per day|
Replacement costs for material not returned
- WVU lost materials (books, DVD, etc.)
- Replacement cost plus a processing fee
- ILL lost materials from other libraries
- Amount invoiced by the lending library