A library borrower may appeal a library fine or replacement bill if they feel the
charge(s) are erroneous or they believe there are sufficient extenuating circumstances
to merit an exception.
Before starting an appeal, please review the borrowing policies for the materials
involved. Appeals can be made for materials owned by WVU Libraries and/or
for materials borrowed from another library through resource sharing. Appeals
can only be made for up to 60 days after a charge is accrued.
The following reasons are not considered valid reasons for canceling fines or bills:
- Non-receipt of a library courtesy notice
- Being out of town
- Forgetting the due date
- Lack of understanding of Library policies
- Disagreement with Library policies
- Semester breaks, summer, vacations, etc.
- Lending material to another party
Fines/Bills Policies for Late or Lost Library Materials
- Books and any items with accompanying media that have not been returned or renewed within 30 days past their due dates will be treated as “Lost” and replacement bills will be issued for the lost item replacement. Replacement costs are determined by the specific item.
- Once a bill is paid, the library user has six months to return the item and still receive a credit for the replacement charge.
- The following items are not covered by these guidelines and do accrue daily fines: multimedia
items, laptops and other digital devices, reserve items, and ILL loans.
- Most laptops and laptop chargers are In-Library Use Only. Those designated as such should not leave the library.
- However, both the Downtown and Evansdale Libraries have a small number of laptops available for a 14-day loan, with one renewal.
- All overdue laptops are fined at $5/day.
- In general, faculty, staff, graduate and undergraduate students have a semester loan for books. However, loan periods may vary among campus libraries.
Replacement Options for Lost Materials
To start an appeal:
- Fill out the appeal form.
- The appeal will be reviewed by the Fines/Bills Appeals Committee, which is comprised of the Heads of Access Services from each WVU Morgantown library.
- The Fines/Bills Appeals Committee meets on the last Thursday of every month and decisions will be emailed shortly after the committee meets. All decisions are final.