Be a model of social equity
Be intentional about recruiting, hiring, and retaining Black, Indigenous, and people of colorWe aim to build on previous work in recruiting Black, Indigenous, and people of color by developing a plan to assess and improve hiring and retention practices. This work is contingent on developing a climate where Black, Indigenous, and people of color feel supported and able to influence policies, practices, and values.
- Track the hiring, retention, and promotion of Black, Indigenous, and people of color in faculty and staff positions over time to identify action areas
- Examine the framework for success in the WVUL Residency Program
Since decision making can favor the perspectives and values of those in power, e.g. department heads and committee chairs, decision makers will balance incorporating relevant assessment and data while being inclusive of diverse groups. Assessment may include both qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Make committee decision-making transparent by documenting via Confluence
- Develop an assessment plan early on in a project lifecycle
- When reviewing new products or services, review their accessibility for different groups
- Review and prepare to adopt the new WCAG 2.2 release for future compliance for websites and applications
- Identify ways to better meet the needs of non-traditional student populations (e.g. international, commuting, and veteran students) through inclusive processes that respect and include students’ perspectives
- When creating safety procedures and working with UPD, consider whether it is safe for everyone, e.g. for people of various races, genders, and other social identities
Explore ways to make the Libraries a safe and affirming space for all, but especially for library users who belong to minoritized social groups
Meets Goals 4 & 5
As Library users interact with WVUL in both digital and physical spaces, WVUL employees will assess ways to make all Library spaces safe and affirming for all.
- Conduct safety and kindness building audits to assess areas for improvement
- Build an all gender bathroom at the Downtown Campus Library